The Smogon rules are a set of clauses and bans used by the Smogon competitive community and their battle simulator, Pokemon Showdown! Some or all of these can be applied to a Nuzlocke run to increase the difficulty, especially if lower tiers are used.
The rules for the most common metagame, "OverUsed", are listed below. The Masterlocke variant features many of these OU rules, as well as other limitations.
- OHKO moves
- Baton Pass (limited to 1 Pokemon per team)
- Moves or Abilities that lower the opponent's accuracy or raise the user's evasion (Double Team, Sand Veil, etc.)
- Sleep Clause Mod: Limit one foe put to sleep
- Endless Battle Clause: Any moveset on any Pokémon that is capable of intentionally causing an endless battle (eg. Leppa Berry + Recycle + Heal Pulse + Recover)
- Species Clause: Limit one of each Pokémon