"The world is cruel, and the only morality in a cruel world is chance. Unbiased. Unprejudiced. Fair."
- Harvey "Two-Face" Dent, The Dark Knight (2008)
The Chancelocke is a Nuzlocke variant ruleset that leaves the pokemon death rule, one of the most important Nuzlocke rules, completely up to chance.
The rules of this 'locke' are as follows:
A) You may only catch ONE pokemon in any given area, the first encounter. If you fail to catch said pokemon, then it sucks to be you.
B) ALL POKEMON MUST BE NICKNAMED. To me this is an official rule, these are your friends you catch and battle with, NOT randoms.
C) When a pokemon faints, roll a six-sided die. This is where chance comes into play.
- If the result is either One or Two, it REALLY sucks to be you, cause your pokemon is D-O-N-E, FUCKED! That means DEAD in case you were wondering.
- If the result is either Three or Four, then your pokemon revieves a bad injury. This results in the pokemon needing to be hospitalized (a.k.a. boxed) for a certain amount of encounters, either wild or trainer. Roll the six-sided die, and multiply the result by three. That's how many encounters you must have until your pokemon can rejoin your party.
- If the result is Five or Six, then it's your lucky day. Your pokemon only falls unconscious, and can be revived by either potion or Pokemon Center.
You have the option of invoking the following clauses:
Dupes Clause (Limited or Unlimited retries. We all know how much of a bitch an RNG can be [Looking at YOU, Dragon Ball Xenoverse!])
Shinies Clause (Double Optional, Catch but don't use outright. Can be used if withdrawing pokemon from box to fill party slot later)
You can add on rules to make the Chancelocke more challenging, but the one rule i feel is must be added is a relief rule:
- You do not lose the challenge if you black/white out. Mainly because of the chance rule, but also if you have usable pokemon in the PC, even if you DO lose all party pokemon, you can still keep going until ALL of them are dead.